Winter Baking Has Started!

Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies

Had an amazingly relaxing weekend with loved ones this weekend, which included time with my "bestie" Juli Adams, who is an amaaaazing artist and friend.  Recently she had been craving those big sugar cookies with the thick layer of pink icing you see at the store and wanted to know how to make them from scratch.  Not really a baker herself, we thought how fun it would be to do it together.  And since it's almost Halloween, why not pumpkin shaped cookies with orange sprinkles, yaaaaay!  I popped onto the internet to find the most popular easy recipe I could find and found this one below from All Recipes. We stuck super close to the recipe, using 1% milk instead of 2%, but it's what I had in the fridge and of course it turned out fine, I mean, c'mon there's enough butter and sugar in there to induce a coma!

This recipe will fill your house with the sweetest smells and creates a lovely soft cookie, ever-so-slightly golden on the bottom, and the icing is exactly how it should be:  sweet and creamy.  I dare you to just have one. I DARE YOU.

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.


Sugar Cookie Frosting

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired.





Comments

MichelleM said…
Looks soooo goood!!! :) Gotta try this recipe!
MichelleM said…
hahaha, I looked at your recipe again and it is my go-to sugar cookie recipe! I usually scale it down to half. LOL
Yea that's a good idea. Usually I scale it down too, if I'm making the drop cookie kind...but I've never made a cookie like this (even though it's so easy!)so I wanted it as close to the ones I would find at a bakery or store. It worked! I mean it's a cookie with frosting, it's an evil pleasure for sure, haha! But yea, I might modify it next time. :)

Popular Posts